Friday, December 9, 2011

Planning & Schelules

I'd like to address all of the questions I received on my last post!

When I committed myself to losing the weight I knew it wasn't going to be easy. Not just because losing weight in general is hard, but extra tough because I had a 3 year old and newborn on my hands! How was I going to get through a workout with the boys around all day? Well, nap time was my friend. I put my newborn down for a nap and hit the weights. I trained my 3 year old to play quietly by himself in an area where I could supervise him. At first it was awful, but he learned how to entertain himself. Now that I have an 18 month old and 4 year old, it's still not easy. I work out for a full hour several times a week, then shower and get ready for the day during my youngest's nap time. My 4 year old likes to work out with me now! Can't argue with that. It's hard, seriously hard. I sleep in my workout clothes so I'm already to go in the mornings. There have been times where I've watched my friends' kids, and I couldn't have that mid-morning workout. Now what? I got my behind up at 5am to workout for an hour. I hated it, I hated every minute of it, but I hated myself more if I didn't do it. You MAKE time to work out. If it means losing sleep, so be it. Can't go out with friends? Oh well. It's your health at risk here. You have to set priorities. If I can do it, I know you can! Wake up early, go to bed late, or go to the gym on your lunch break if you work full time. I never stepped 1 foot inside of a gym, I've used nothing but Bob Harpers workout DVDs since day 1, and I like it that way! The gym isn't for me, but others love it. Whatever gets you moving!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Protien shakes. Oh, what a touchy Subject for me. Okay, I don't mean to offend anyone, ANYONE, with what I'm about to write. I do not buy expensive meal replacement shakes...and here's why; you can make homemade ones a heck of a lot cheaper! Seriously. I drink my own mix, which is Greek yogurt, no-fat milk, protien powder I get online or at the store for $10, some fruit, ice, and Splenda. It's delish, healthy, and I have them as a mid-morning snack. I won't replace meals with them, because eventually you'll have to start eating meals again and you want to teach yourself how to eat correctly. This is why I also don't recommend nutrisystem for eating. You have to teach yourself better eating habits, and you won't find that with nutrisystem. I taught myself how to cook healthy. It's a lifestyle, not a diet. It's a lifelong commitment to your health and the health of your family! What I do recommend is weight watchers online! I've been a member for years, and I love it! It teaches you to cook, gives you endless recipes and lots of people are there to support you.

Remember, when you get to the finish line, you strt a much longer race; maintaing. Maintaing is where I am, and I'll tell you something...it's just as hard or harder than losing weight. You don't get tho little "highs" anymore from losing a pound, and you have to be careful of not getting back into old habits. I still workout 6 days a week. I still calorie count. I still weigh myself daily to stay on track. Like I said, lifelong commitment to fitness! When you are losing weight and learning how to prepare your food and meals, it is all preparation for maitanence mode! I cannot stress that enough.

Tip of the day: the first step is the hardest. I know, I've been there. I was at rock bottom when I started. I had to crawl my way back up. Workouts actually kept me from getting depressed! Did you know that when you workout it actually boosts your mood? It does! Endorphins people!! So lace up those sneakers and hit the play button on that DVD! You're only 1 workout away from a better mood, and a better bod ;)

8 comments

  1. I'm afraid to start. I can't afford for my life to get harder; it hassssss to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't be afraid! You'll be amazed at the changes in your body and yourself in general once you start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! Now for your shake recipe! :) What protein powder do you use?

    You are such an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for your inspirational blog. I'm beginning my journey at the same weight you started at. I also have 2 boys. Mine are now 5 and 3. I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last year and suffer from it terribly in my ankles and knees. I'm still working out though. It hurts, but it hurts being this overweight too. Can't wait to see future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mandy I am so grateful for your blog! Thank you for sharing your journey! I have worked out once a day every day for the last week! I am making baby steps (it feels that way) to eat healthier and to watch what I am putting into my body! I LOVE BOB's workouts! I have the Cardio Max and Boot Camp Dvds and I LOVE the bootcamp the most I think! I had no idea CARDIO could be fun! And you are so right about the endorphins! I feel BETTER after I work out, EVEN if my buns hurt to sit on! haha! Now I do have a question though, throughout my workout it is not my muscles that hurt the most, but my FEET! I cant do as much as I would like to or move as fast as I would like to because the arches in my feet are KILLING me half way through! Even just through the warm up! Any advice? I am thinking I may have hurt them at some point and I am thinking of icing them, or maybe getting arch support shoes... ??? I am also a Mil. Spouse so I think I could get some advice if I went to the med clinic, but they are impossible to get an appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you work out 1 hour every day! Do you double up on Bob's cardio work outs or do they get longer? I do the 20 minute level 1 work out and also the warm up and cool down so I think its like 30-40 mins! I am doing that for one more week! ... ... OR What if I did that work out 2 times a day! Like morning and evening/afternoon?!

    I dont mean to clutter up your blog, but I am just thinking out loud! haha. Thanks in advance for your help again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so freaking scared to do this but feel so inspired. Little things discourage me (money, anger, lack of time to myself to plan and prepare) so I guess take the little failures in stride at the beginning and watch them decrease. That's what I am getting here. I also want to blog my journey to hold myself "accountable." Does your blog hold you accountable or inspire you? You know we are reading and needing a lift so, you keep going? Commitment comes from somewhere. I am afraid of failing even though I do all the work. Thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Rainy Day