Friday, June 1, 2012

HarperGirl Reads!

When I started losing weight I came to the conclusion that I must  have eaten a lot throughout the day before, because I had all this free time that wasn't spent in the kitchen! I needed to replace the act of eating with something else. I took something that I love, reading, and made it into my new hobby to replace eating. This is just one thing I do to get my mind off of food. My husband bought me a Kindle for Christmas 2 years ago, and I honestly think it's my favorite gift ever from him.

Books are something that I cherish. My love of reading developed in my childhood. As a teenager, I'd rather read a book at night than go out with friends. Books were a way for me to escape reality for a while. Sometimes, I really needed an escape. My most favorite place in the world was a bookstore. My mom would often find me there, huddled in a corner with a stack of 10 books in my lap. I have a very extensive book collection, and you can imagine how heavy that can get when you are a military family moving from place to place. Books are extremely heavy when they are packed in a box! When Amazon introduced the Kindle a few years ago, I knew it would be absolutely perfect for me to take to Japan! I could load all of my books on it, and save space and precious weight (we can only take 2500lbs of stuff coming from the US to Japan) at the same time.


This was shortly after I got it! I downloaded my favorite books to it, plus games and other things just to make sure I had something to do when  a food craving struck. I downloaded Bob's book to it, and began reading that one immediately. I love a good read when my kids are in bed, or even while they play outside!


This was taken on my back screened-in porch last spring. As you can see, my youngest was in a bouncy seat enjoying the fresh air, and my oldest is playing in his cozy coupe while I enjoy some Edward Cullen goodness ;) <---don't hate!! I made time for my books. I know when my food cravings strike, 2-5PM, and 8-9PM. I made sure I had a book on hand or something else to do so I wouldn't binge between meals.

So, what are my favorite books, you ask? My favorite books are usually YA paranormal, which includes everything from vampires to angels to things that authors just make up! I have a few favorite series:

-Significance series by Shelly Crane
-Soul Screamers series by Rachel Vincent
-The Premonition Series by Amy Bartol
-The Archers of Avalon by Chelsea Fine
-The Existence Trilogy by Abbi Glines
-My Blood Approves series by Amanda Hocking
-The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer

Seriously really good reads, all of them. I'd love to do more posts about what I've reading from time to time on my blog. Although it's not fitness related, it is helping me cope. I read fitness books and non-fitness books. I already show the fitness ones I read. Would any of my lovely readers be interested in seeing the books I love while I read them? Comment and let me know!!

With love,
HarperGirl

2 comments

  1. I think reading is a stress-reliever, which contributes to health, and so posting about reading is a great idea for a fitness blog! :) Thank you for your list -- I love YA paranormal, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read the Anita Blake Series by Laurell K. Hamilton? Its a vampire series and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete

Blog design by Rainy Day